String of Pearls – MetaLoop
Victoria & Sydney Harbour EcoLivable Necklace
Imagine a “String of Pearls” floating necklace of cycle and walkways, an esplanade of attractions, carefully sowed around the harbour.
Associated with the #HongKongSpin wheel, podium and biomes at #WKCD, we propose a “#StringOfPearls”, a necklace of floating walkways, cyclepaths and PRT pod routes around both harbour edges: reconnecting the city back to the waterfront via dedicated green corridors, reconnecting people with the harbour and bringing its often desolate, under-used shores back to vibrant life.
Imagine a seamless trip, by foot, bike or PRT pod from Hong Kong island’s Kennedy Town to Kwun Tong in Kowloon to visit a new Bruce Lee museum?
How better to add value for both visitors and residents alike?
The “Pearls” – such facilities could include playgrounds, parks, yoga spaces, public pools, marinas, pavilions, water gardens, arbours, performance & concert spaces, baby biomes, outdoor cinemas, art galleries, museums, cafes, bars, restaurants and retail kiosks, cycle-stops with showers and changerooms, bikeparks (all powered & watered by Hong Kong #EcoLivable City Initiative renewable energy marine solar and wind farms).
Here’s how this idea is being demonstrated in part for London, Singapore, Portland & Brisbane, but in separate examples (while our proposals & links/attractions would be much more integrated, diverse, natural and meandering – to better match their stunning waterside setting and Chinese Feng Shui design principles – along with the Asynsis #FormFollowsFlow #DaoOfDesign paradigm).
So why not a PPP with MTR and private developers, under the auspices of the Harbourfront Authority?
For both Hong Kong & Sydney, imagine the same, and also MetaLoop lines along road and rail arteries radiating out from both the harbours.
The Pros (“…solving many problems at once.” according to the Renewables-powered facilities management and Institute for Sustainable Futures leadership of University of Technology Sydney, Australia):
1. Citizens’ Mobility-Activity and fitness boosted simply by commuting, saving Gym time and expense
2. Relieves chronic Road & Rail Congestion
3. Relieves chronic and toxic Road & Rail pollution
4. Safer travel for all, pedestrians, joggers, cyclists, PRT commuters
5. Saves time and money for commuters, while PRT commuters can also work-play while commuting – eventually from door to door
6. App e-tolling, like with App-bikes but for the whole MetaLoop, and in all its modes
7. Renewable-energy powered (integrated Solar PV and Wind Micro, plus off-site utility Renewables via PPAs, et al), carbon neutral at the very least, renewable/recyclable materials, IoT-led so highly connected, operations-optimal & resource efficient, sensor-led and adaptive yet resilient
8. So MetaLoop is Dual revenue stream so likely highly profitable with a rapid return on the capital investment, Triple-revenue stream actually when you add the IoT Big Data it generates
9. PPA and Green Bond, Green Loan -funded to offset the CapEx costs of construction and commissioning
10. Can act as a District: Transit-Power-Water-Heating/Cooling Heat Island Effect/Electrostatic Pollution-Mitigating Artery, mimicking arteries’ manifold metafunctions in the metabolisms of actual organisms, which cities share many characteristics with
11. Exports surplus power back to the grid and adjacent buildings, thereby directly servicing them
12. Exports surplus profits back to councils for funding important priorities like schools, medical centres, affordable housing and homeless shelters-treatments centres and foyers like the ones built by the Paris Salvation Army to help alleviate the worsening housing and homelessness crises afflicting urban Australia.
These benefits all serve to further optimise and vascularise the evolution of our cities, making them more EcoLivable, Regenerative, Circular and Sustainable.
MetaLoop represents the highly visible and tangible, rigorously-engineered, practice-based application of our “Form follows Flow” Sustainable, EcoMimetic Design Theory of Everything, the Asynsis-Constructal paradigm; and when rolled-out, will serve to act as demonstration projects to prototype the de-carbonising transition of our cities around the world, while solving many problems at once in a true exemplar of our SynPlexity-led, multi-dimensional Asynsis design.
The Asynsis position (including via TEDx and UKTI GREAT campaign with RIBA-HK):
Press release, Media coverage, Posts, Conference, Symposia (including with ARUP Foresight & Innovation, London):
Our recent EcoLivable City initiatives for Hong Kong and the PRD:
Form follows Flow
Where Greek Beauty meets Chinese Health & Fortune
The Asynsis Φ-Dao of Design: now shared with TEDx: